Review: Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

11.20.2014

While this review isn't full of spoilers I don't recommend reading it unless you've read the previous books. Unless of course, you're a rebel, then read on!

Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas (Book Three)
Publication Date: September 2, 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Page Count: 562 pages

Summary: Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat–and his own toughest enemy. While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love? (via goodreads)


Finally, I've managed to get to Heir of Fire. I kept stopping as I read this one because honestly, I didn’t want to be done with this series. It’s such an interesting world to experience, and Maas has done such an amazing job crafting the characters and their experiences. I can’t express how much this series has come to mean to me. This book was an even bigger, scarier, more intense roller coaster than Crown of Midnight was. In the third and most recently released book of the Throne of Glass series, we begin with Celaena on yet another big journey, but this time she’s been sent to Wendlyn by the King, with the influence of Chaol, but for differing reasons. Meanwhile, Chaol and Dorian, along with the newest addition of Aedion Ashryver, are dealing with their own problems in Adarlan, since there’s no rest for those trying to successful survive under the rule of the king. A man who is such a sadistic bastard.

In Wendlyn, along with Celaena, we get to meet the amazing and harsh Rowan Whitethorn. He’s a character that, at first, I wasn't sure what to make of. He was a hard nut to crack, but once we get more of his character, and more between him and Celaena, I completely forgot the stern and cruel attitude he used to keep himself locked off from everyone else. He and Celaena were so similar in such ways, and I honestly loved him so much by the end. With him by her side, Celaena faces her past and so many of her fears and grows to be so much more badass than she already is. Her fears are very real ones and no manner of training to be deadly can defeat them without her facing them herself.

Dorian is another character we get to see continue to grow in the third book. With the still newly discovered magic he’s had to deal with and with the secrets that are soon revealed, he has to accept that his once simple life is in danger. While still an absolute sweetheart he transitions from the immature and rakish prince to someone who could lead Adarlan after the EVIL BASTARD is destroyed. Even though the focus isn't on Chaol much I enjoyed seeing what he was doing behind the scenes, and his continued support for Dorian even when the two were at odd. The “I love you” at the end absolutely destroyed my soul. Same with the whole “I claim you” business with Celaena and Rowan. I was no longer alive as I texted my friend all my reactions; she managed to finish the book before I got to!

The last new character we got introduced to, Manon Blackbeak, was really interesting to read as well. It was hard to transition into her chapters at first because we don’t have any hint of her before this point, it's a little abrupt. I didn’t get hooked until the chapter in which she claims Abraxos, her wyvern for the upcoming battle. But it was also interesting to see the Ironteeth witches firsthand, from the point of view of this character. Especially the scene with the Crochan witch, it seems as if it will play a big part into the future story line of Manon.

With the last book, readers are given the answers to a lot more questions. Maas sheds a big light on the past and how a lot of things have come to be in the present, as well as further example of how fucking evil the King of Adarlan is. Especially the fact that (one I didn't notice until reading this book) we still don’t know the kings actual name and just where the hell he came from before he was able to destroy a world so beautiful and thriving as it was before.

Overall, this book blew my mind and wasn't anything I expected to be and I am absolutely okay with that. Sarah J. Maas is a force to be reckoned with and honestly, this last book has made its way up to the top of my list of absolute favorites. I need hard copies right away, since I read these as e-books. I'm also going to die a slow death in anticipation for the fourth book.

Favorite Quotes:

"We pity you, each and every one of you. For what you do to your children. They are not born evil. But you force them to kill and hurt and hate until there is nothing left inside of them - of you."

"I claim you, Rowan Whitethorn. I don't care what you say and how much you protest. I claim you as my friend."