Review Time: Monster In His Eyes

5.01.2014



Note: this book is categorized as erotica and may have some darker elements that aren't suitable for viewers under the age of 18.


Monster In His Eyes by J.M. Darhower
Publication Date: April 27th, 2014
Publisher: Self-published
Page count: 350 pages

Summary: Ignazio Vitale is not a good man. I suspect it, the first time I see him, sense the air of danger that surrounds the man. He has a way of commanding attention, of taking control, of knowing what I'm thinking before I even do. It's alarming and alluring. It's dark and deadly. It's everything I've ever wanted but the last thing I truly need. Obsession. It doesn't take him long to draw me into his web, charming me into his bed and trapping me in his life, a life I know nothing about until it's too late. He has secrets, secrets I can't fathom, secrets that make it so I can't walk away, no matter how much I beg him to let me go. I see it sometimes in his eyes, a darkness that's both terrifying and thrilling. He's a monster, wrapped up in a pretty package, and what I find when I unmask him changes everything. I want to hate him. Sometimes, I do. But it doesn't stop me from loving him, too. (via goodreads)

J.M. Darhower is quickly becoming one of those authors that I'll read anything they write. The characters and the realistic but intriguing worlds of danger she can write have me hooked instantly (also she's a nice lady). In Monster in His Eyes, J.M. Darhower gives readers a book that has you wondering from the very beginning how things are going to go. What's being hidden? Who is Ignazio Vitale? And more importantly, why is he a monster?

Ignazio “Naz” Vitale was mesmerizing from the start. He was silent and deadly, captivating Karissa so very quickly. He captivated me quickly. On the outside he was calm and controlled but there always seemed to be something going on in his head. As if he was calculating every action he took as well as the actions of those around him. There was no doubting his danger, even if Karissa was slowly being seduced into believing there was none at all with him. This man had me on the edge of my seat until the end of the book. There was no doubting the storm going on behind his eyes, the darkness that he let out in gradual stages as he spent time with Karissa.

Karissa herself was likeable, and she was also so wrapped into the mystery and sex appeal of Naz so she's easily persuaded into a sense of safety. This, as a reader, sets you on edge even if you're being seduced almost as easily as she is. However, I was screaming in my head “Watch out!” But, when push comes to shove she does have her own spark that comes out. The tension between her and Naz was a great thing to see, especially with how the age difference plays in. It was sexy without there being overdone or full of sex. I hope that in the next book, with the big reveal being out, that we get to see more of her spark and the angry passion building between her and Naz.

Overall, this was a great read for me personally. It was dark in a way I hadn't found before (but dark in the way I can occasionally enjoy) and the mystery of Naz's secret went in a completely different direction than I was expecting to witness. I don't want to say too much about certain part's of the book considering how big everything is in regard's to the plot. Great characters, and great story; I couldn't have asked for more from Darhower's mind.